Saturday, March 8, 2014

Hitting the Slopes

 While I was a junior in high school, I ditched school one day to go skiing with my brother. It was in April, so the weather had been pretty warm, causing the slopes to melt and freeze over and over. We got to Snowbird pretty early, so it was still really cold outside. On our second or third run I fell and hurt my knee. I was pretty embarrassed because my brother is an amazing skier, and I didn't want to be a wuss after falling once, so I kept going with him. After about two more runs I told him I couldn't do it anymore, my knee hurt too bad. So I left, drove myself home, and iced my knee for the rest of the day. Luckily, it was spring break for the rest of the week, so I didn't have to go to volleyball practice. After a few days I could run on it so I thought it would be okay. I went to practice the next week, jumped up to block, and collapsed when I landed. My coaches had me sit out and told me I had to get it checked by a doctor. 
 My mom was definitely in denial that something was wrong, nothing ever is when I go to the doctor! So she sent me to my neighbor (who is a pediatrician) to get it looked at. He felt around my knee and moved it, then said 'I think you tore you ACL'. I couldn't believe it. I knew if that was true my volleyball playing days were over. So we went and got a CT scan and it's true, I had torn my ACL. We scheduled surgery for two weeks later, wanting to get started on the 6-8 month recovery. Knee surgery is probably the worst thing ever, and all I know is I have never taken showering easily or being able to sit down in a chair (or on a toilet) for granted ever again. 
I wrote all of that mostly so I would always remember, and also because that was the last time I had gone skiing. I never thought I would go again. It just wasn't that fun to me, so not really worth it to go. Until I got married to someone who loves snow boarding and made it really hard to say not to. So between Taylor and my little brother, I was persuaded to go skiing with them again, first time in 5 years! It ended up being a lot of fun, and I wasn't as scared as I thought I would be, just more cautious ; ) And although it's not something I want to do every weekend now, I am proud I was able to get back on the slopes and face my fears. There is just something about being in the snowy mountains so close to nature that is so peaceful and beautiful. It was the perfect ski day, glad I was able to share it with my brothers, dad, and husband. 

No comments:

Post a Comment